Friday 21 March 2014

Starcraft Cake

So tomorrow is my boyfriend's birthday and I had no idea what to get him as a gift. One day I was talking to him and he said that I should make him a Starcraft cake, as a joke. Since I didn't have anything else in mind, I just decided to do so.

Starcraft is an online game run by Blizzard, the same company that made World of Warcraft. Starcraft and WOW are very different though. In Starcraft there are 3 races; Protoss, Terren, and Zerg. Kyle, my boyfriend, likes to play as Protoss best, so I decided to make him a Protoss themed birthday cake.

Here is the final result!





Every single element on this cake was handmade, straight down to the cake and fondant. The only thing that wasn't made from scratch would be the chocolate cookie crumbs on top and the bit of gumpaste I mixed in with the marshmallow fondant to make it easier to mold into shapes.

The cake itself is a vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream and green buttercream grass.

The figures are hand sculpted using a mixture of 2:1 fondant and gumpaste. The base of the prism building is made of rice crispy treats.

Overall, this cake took me about 7-8 hours to make (excluding time for the cake to cool down after it's been baked). The whole process went over a span of 3 days, from baking the cake, making the fondant, sculpting the figures, and finally icing and finishing the cake. 

I had a lot of fun making this cake and I'm very satisfied with the final outcome! I think it turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment